Thursday, September 21, 2006

Food and such.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

I am on cooking today! We have a schedule to follow everyday, like who is going to do the cooking, who is going to mop the floor, do the laundry and do the dishes. I hate mopping the floor, it is the most deary chore anyone can ever do. However, I enjoy my cooking duty, followed by washing. I don't really fancy the laundry tho, imagine the mountain load of clothes to wash, mind you, boys' underwear and their smelly socks. EWW. Furthermore, doing laundry during the winter and spring is definately not the kind of chore you would want to do. It pours without any warning and sometimes rain the entire day or for only five minutes. It is extremely annoying.

Anyway, back to the subject. Yes, I loooove cooking. And baking! I think cooking is an art. You take raw materials and transform them by simple applications like cutting, heating and mixing into a really lovely product (well, you have to do it right tho). I enjoy the sweet satisfaction when I see others enjoying what I bake or cook and chow down every single morsel of the meal. =)

I enjoy cooking so much that I even considered culinary as a career. I was telling Alvin earlier while fixing dinner that if I was intellectually slow or find myself jobless in the future, I would want to be a chef. Nah, I thought, probably in the future if I get sick of the business world, I might want to go to a culinary school (Le Cordon Bleu!!!)and make cooking a career. Ha, okay, I think that is more like a dream, in fact, I think I am passable when it comes to cooking and baking, but I do not think I am THAT good enough. One day, ONE DAY!!!

I made Shepherd's Pie for dinner today. The last Shepherd's Pie I had was made by Kwan's sister, and I thought it was quite an easy dish to make. These days, I cannot be bothered to look for recipes online cause the house is quite out of ingredients and I can be rather fussy if I do not have whatever that are needed, so I decided to do it my own way.

Wen's Shepherd's Pie

5 potatoes (maybe 6 or 7 if you prefer a thicker top)

500g ground beef

1 onion, chopped

2 handful of frozen peas and corn

salt and pepper to taste

dill weed

1 block of vintage cheddar cheese

150 ml milk

3 tablespoon butter

Breadcrumbs

--

Actually, the above measurements are not really accurate. Like I said, I made it accordingly to the feel and taste. So you can adjust the volume accordingly to your own preference.

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to about 170 degrees C.
  2. Peel the potatoes and cut it into small pieces. Microwave the potatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes till soft. (You can choose to boil it if you like.)
  3. Mash the potatoes and add in milk, butter, cheese and pepper. Leave aside.
  4. Heat a little oil, brown the onions. Add in the ground beef and cook it till the meat turns colour. Add in the frozen vegetable and let it cook till the water evaporates. Add some cheese, dill weed and pepper to taste. Try not to overcook the beef.
  5. Place the meat into an oven-proof dish and spread it evenly. Spread the mash potatoes over the meat evenly.
  6. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheddar cheese over the potato mixture. Leave it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes till the cheese melts.
  7. Serve it with love.

Feeds 4 hungry boys.

I took a bite out of Ken's plate and found it not bad. The boys liked it, Averil said that it was lovely, so I am a happy girl. =)

---

Earlier this year, I learnt how to make pineapple tarts from my mom's good friend. She makes the BEST pineapple tarts I have ever had. The filling is not too sweet, great aroma and is soft. The crust is soft yet sturdy with cheddar cheese topping. It is something I look forward to every chinese new year. I would devour every bit of it even though it is fattening. Honestly, I think it is the only chinese new year snack, I wouldn't mind devouring every bit of without any care of how much calories it contains. Alright, I am going off tangent again. Yes, I wanted to make use of the last CNY to 'promote' my tarts so next year I could sell them together with some cookies and muffins. So, I am going to start my baking when I return to Singapore this holiday. I am going to try to perfect my skills. HEH. I am going to use Christmas to 'test the market'. You know, innocent cookies/muffin giveaways to friends and get some honest opinions. =D

Also, I read the Sweet Valley Kids a million years ago and this party idea from the book came into my mind. I thought it would be lovely to have a cookie party like what Jessica and Elizabeth had. All their guests had to bring a bag of cookies and there would be a big Cookie-Mix-Up, so everyone can enjoy different kinds of cookies at the party. Lol, I even remember that episode was about the rich snobby kid Lila attending the party with her very busy Daddy. Lol alright, I think it would be nice to have just a gathering with couple of friends, good cuppa coffee, maybe a soothing Camomile Tea, some muffins, cookies and nibbles.

It definately sounds great to me. :)

2 more months.

Toodles.

8:22 PM | comments (0)

0 Comments

Post a Comment



About

Archives

Links

Others