Thursday, October 11, 2007

What I did not do

Thursday, October 11, 2007

While indulging in retail therapy today, I saw a group of aboriginals bullying another aboriginal girl. The bully, a larger girl was strangling the victim. She was surrounded by her peers and she cornered the victim and pushed her against the wall harshly. I could hear the girl's head being knocked on against the wall.

I wanted to do something about it because I felt that it was really wrong. However, I thought, 'What would they do to me if I tried to intervene?' So, I continued walking, thinking. I felt pretty ashamed of myself for not doing anything. But I thought again, what can I do about it? There are so many of them, and it would be detrimental to me if I have had been embroiled in the conflict. It seems selfish of me, but I guess that's reality. What would you do? It was a crowded shopping mall and they were really obvious about it. People were watching and doing nothing about it.

Violence is apparent in the Aboriginal culture, that includes sexual abuse, alcoholism, substance abuse and many other social problems and crimes. This is so because of a manifestation of problems in relation to boredom, despondency due to cultural disintegration, unemployment, lack of education and so on. Well, at least that is what I know from reading the news. I've only been here for a little less than two years so I can't really say that I know a lot.

I recall that time when I was at the train station alone at night when there were two aboriginals asking me for money to take the train.

There are also times when I was just walking along the streets and there would be some aboriginals yakking away incoherently and yelling.

It can be quite unnerving. I just wish more can be done to help alleviate the social problems and all.

Anyway, the point is, my hesitation to help. I would give up my seat for someone in need, I would help an elderly neighbor push her heavy marketing goods up that slope in the neighborhood, I hold the door for others. In fact, I think that I am a relatively polite and helpful person.

What held me back was because I had to oppose to such characters and I thought of my own safety first because I do not have the capacity to fight or to defend myself. Guess I'm not that selfless after all.

11:00 PM | comments (0)

0 Comments

Post a Comment



About

Archives

Links

Others